The 5 Es of
- Encouragement includes developing awareness and building enthusiasm for walking, running, skating, and bicycling.
- Engineering tools include a variety of street and trail design techniques that can reduce traffic volumes on roads, decrease speeds on roads and trails, and improve safety for all users.
- Education programs teach motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists about their responsibilities and about traffic rules.
- Enforcement enlists the help of local law enforcement to focus efforts in problem areas and increase community awareness of safety issues.
- Etiquette includes developing awareness of the rights of other users, and the display of courtesy toward all park visitors.